Monday, March 14, 2011

Meeting Dr. Steven C. Schlozman, author of The Zombie Autopsies.

We just got back from our second trip to Boston for DMW.  After corresponding via email over the past couple of months, Steven Schlozman invited us up to Boston and granted us an interview.  We were originally slated to meet last month but I'm happy that it was pushed back.  This allowed time to read his just released book, The Zombie Autopsies: Secret Notes from the Apocalypse.

Steven C. Schlozman, MD, author. The Zombie Diaries: Secret Notes form the Apocalypse



The Book 
 I originally remember hearing it would be on store shelves March 25th of 2011, but when I did a quick check online I saw that it was in stores!  Looks like some stores jumped the gun.  Now, I had no excuse for not reading the book, so I rushed out and picked it up this past Saturday afternoon and stayed in to absorb as much of it as possible as we were leaving to Boston Sunday afternoon.  I was determined to read Schlozman's work:

A. Because if you're going to ask an author or filmmaker or artist  
     for an interview, you should be familiar  with their work.

B. Um, it's the right thing to do?!? (lol)

The research aspect of it is already second nature at this point and it definitely helps if the book is well written; The Zombie Autopsies was an great read.   I opened the book at around 7:30 in the evening and finished a good chunk of it at around 1:00 in the morning right before springing the time ahead.  So many authors and artists are creatively reconstructing the ancestral zombie and Schlozman is no different, recruiting his profession for his fictional writing and also for his love of the zombie genre.


Illustrations is © copyright Andrea Sparacio, Sparrow Arts.
After reading the book, I pretty much summed it up as "an observation constructively critical of evil as brilliance that can only be man-made."   I don't think that I did it justice, even still, don't just take my word for it, get a copy and read it!  I mean Romero was scared...Romero!  I love it!

Needless to say upon meeting the author today I couldn't help think about the crab cakes I had eaten for lunch right before (when you read the book you'll get it).  I also couldn't help but gush about the book,  not only for the "zombie factor," but also for the questions that arose from my reading, Schlozman's  ill-fated protagonist, Dr. Stanley Blum (spoiler?) and most importantly the all too realistic and familiar feeling of...doom.

We sat and spoke before the interview while Ryan, the director of photography set up, and discussed our appreciation for cult films in general, George Romero, Max Brooks, Scott Kenemore, his fans, etc...Since the book's ink is still fresh I figured Schlozman may be tied up with doing press, I can honestly say I had the pleasure of sitting with him while he's in the eye of the storm.  It was a great interview and look forward to sharing it as soon as the project is all done.  Who knows maybe we'll release some teaser footage in the near future.  Thanks again to Steven Schlozman.  Oh and to Mrs. Schlozman for the welcoming vibe of the office!

Cheers-
L

www.deadmanworkingmovie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment