Saturday, February 12, 2011

Interview with Jeffrey Mantz

Washinton D.C. and Virginia treated us with a break from the typically cold weather when we woke up at the Hotel.  After an initial scare securing a location for the interview, I was fortunate to have heard back from Alison the manager at a local coffee house in Arlington call the Northside Social.

It is a coffee and wine house, pretty packed hour to hour so I was surprised to hear at about two days notice they were willing to accommodate us, but Alison spoke with me about her love of the arts and helping out as much as she can.  She was an alumni of George Mason University, which happens to be Professor Mantz's academic home at the moment.

I had the privilege of interviewing Professor Jeffrey Mantz today.  I can say I am always nervous when I contact prospective interviewees for projects, with no reason, I am never shocked at how down to earth they are, most people for the most part.  All you can do is ask and the worst they can say is they are too busy or no.

I read an article Professor Mantz had written for NPR and from the introduction I learned he had just introduced a class at GMU revolving around, what else, zombies.  Not only does he love zombies a la "Romero," he's also an anthropologist who has traveled to parts of Africa and the Caribbean and has been on hand studying the traditional or shall I say more "pure" roots of zombies and zombification as well as other economical issues that affect these regions.  Mantz is also very knowledgeable of zombie folklore in many countries.  Yea, eat that Wade Davis.  I was very happy to have finally interviewed him and can't wait to share the interview.


P.S. Nothing against Wade Davis....

www.deadmanworkingmovie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment